Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

and then the bath leaked...

Ahh.. the joys of home ownership.
This weekend felt like the never ending money trap.

First off let me explain to you that this house has not been lived in for 2 years, the owner was living in assisted living and her kids decided to sell the house. So we knew coming into it there would be some things we would have to spend the money on to fix.

It all started on Saturday, we had the oil company come out to service the boiler and hot water heater.. the guy working was awesome and so helpful! He showed us the service tags and how it said  "OH BOY" as one of the comments, that right there should have been a warning sign.

He told us he NEVER had a filter clog his vacuum! Luckily Madison and I were not home during all this. Thankfully, he got it cleaned out and working like brand new (yay no need to buy a new one!). Our boiler is back to working great.. we knew in the next year or 2 we will be replacing it (let the saving begin!). 

To add to this.. Chris car that he drives to the Bronx for work .. think old beater car that no one would want, is deciding its time to stop working. Mind you its a 1991 Mazda and has served its purpose.
We are now looking at a new vehicle for him.. leaning towards a Jetta, so good mileage, safe for the kids etc.. so more money heading out the door.

THEN...
This morning Madison and I headed downstairs for M to play and for me to finish our moving announcement mail outs I stepping in a pool of water right by the computer desk and noticed the pool of water sitting under my laptop.
My stomach dropped... I've had this laptop since I was in college to 2006 and it is FULL of so many pictures from before Madison was born. I have come to accept its probably NOT going to work and the files PROBABLY can't be saved as water was pouring out of it when I picked it up!
On the plus side our desk top that was there was fine! Thank god MAC's are a single piece that sits up a little higher.

So I started mopping up the water while trying not to cry over the laptop and began thinking what the hell caused this! 
Then my father in law said.. probably the bath that I took last night. The pipe probably needs to be drained. 
Remember how no one lived here for 2 years... well of course that pipe probably is clogged and hasn't been cleaned.

The best part of all this.. Chris was at work!  So happy monday and happy snowday to me!

I was joking around with my mom because her maiden name is Leake and I said it's probably grandpa Jay's way of screwing with me causing these all the leaking! But then I realized we've had a blue jay or jaybird hanging out in our back yard this week and I really thought ok its him.. so Grandpa.. I'd love if you stopped causing some problems and help us with the lottery numbers ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment